Monday, March 16, 2015

Looking beyond their beauty















I was sitting at the gym doing sit ups, a girl walks in: young, lean and beautiful. 

I notice everything about her in a moment of insecurity, that I feel I am not.

Yes, I admit it, I was insecure for that moment and so I did what most would have usuaally done when they feel insecurity:  I envyed and I judged her.

The gremlins start whispering in my ear. They are hoping I will indulge in this thought, which will take me to a place of self-pity, ego and where there is no joy!

I catch myself, Wait! I think for a moment STOP! 

Why am I comparing myself to this young woman who is here working just as hard as I am to feel good about herself???

Why do I feel envy and why am I judging her, I know nothing about her, her struggles or her journey.

My energy shifts to a better place as I silence the gremlins; I start to feel gratitude towards her for being there and sweating just as much as I am.

Then for a minute I start to reminisce, I go back to being 25, to a time when someone envied and judged me for being “fit”.  

They must have assumed that it came easy for me or that I was born lucky.  

The fact was that I worked really really hard and ate a certain way to be and feel the way I looked. 

It made me sad and angry to know that I was being judged by someone who knew so little about me and my journey.

I took a deep breather, came back and gathered my thoughts.

As she sat next me, I just smiled at her lovingly, no longer feeling the way I did when she walked into the room. I felt peace and felt good about being me.

Then I asked myself, why is it that we as women don’t unite and protect each other?

Why is it that sometimes we can’t see beyond what is in front of us and we feel the need to judge, envy or sometimes hate another woman to feel better about our own insecurities?

I ask you, Let’s start a change for the better in each one of us!

Today I challenge you that this week for just 3 days you stop the judgements and the envy when you see a woman that makes you feel totally inadequate.

Instead of mumbling under your breathe of how easy she has it or how perfect she is, send her gratitude and joy for journey she is on.

Maybe even go as far as giving her a compliment on something that you find insecure about yourself?

Because chances are, she is just as insecure about who she is, as you are and you never know when you can change someone's day for the better!

Until next time, 

Sending you love, joy and gratitude!


No comments:

Post a Comment